Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hurting

I realize suffering is a part of life, but refuse to believe it is the purpose of life.

I take heart from Alyosha's perspective, and would love to attain it:

Alyosha was certain that no one in the whole world ever would want to hurt him, and, what is more, he knew that no one could hurt him. This was for him an axiom, assumed once for all without question, and he went his way without hesitation, relying on it.

(from _Brothers Karamazov_ Book 2 ch. 3)


To me, this is a declaration of freedom from fear of the other.
I don't know what it means to serve the other "with fear and trembling," but it is something different, I am sure, than panic fear, that fear that is hatred in the guise of victimization....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home